I don’t really need a reason to drink wine on a regular weeknight, but if you do, here’s one for you: it’s Spring Wine Fling!!! During this week-long (March 23-29, 2015) celebration of wine programs across the Washington, D.C. region, participating bars and restaurants are offering special flights, tastings and/or parings of seasonal wines. Last night, I sat down at Boss Sheperd’s, in part because I had never been and I figured it was a good excuse, to check out their spring wine fling offering. For $15, you can order a flight of three wines, sparkling, white, red or a mix from either category. I opted for the mix, though if you go, I recommend the sparkling wine flight that includes my favourite American bubbly, Gruet, Prosecco and Veuve Clicquot.
Outside of Boss Sheperd’s here is a list of notable bars and restaurants participating in Spring Wine Fling:
- Occidental Grill & Seafood ~ It’s all about the most spring-friendly wine at the historical Pennsylvania avenue restaurant with $18 flights of specially selected rosé from different wine regions around the globe.
- Ici Urban Bistro ~ Le Bar at the Sofitel Hotel and its restaurant ici gives you three flight options: a $31 Sparkling celebration that’s a Laurent Perrier champagne flight, a $31 American whites flight and a $28 Red Bodies flights.
- Pizza Vinoteca ~ My new favourite Ballston spot rocks 36 wine by the glass daily, all for under $10, so it’s not surprising that it’s offering a great Spring Wine Fling deal! Through March 29, guests can chose 4-pour flights from any of the restaurant’s wine categories (sparkling, gold, amber etc.) for $14. Not to sound like a broken record, but i’m going to recommend the sparkling flight on this one: prosecco, nebbiolo brut rose, sparkling pinot noir and lambrusco. YES PLEASE! Bonus, for $15 you can get a brussels sprout pizza + a glass of gruner Veltliner or merlot-tannat. YES PLEASE times two!
- Pinea ~ The new-ish restaurant at the W Hotel boasts a brand new mural by Gaia and here’s an excuse if you need one to go check it out: two 4-pour flights, one red and one white showcasing uncommon Southern European varietals.
- Smith & Wollensky and i Ricchi ~ both restaurants are showcasing wines made by women. At Smith & Wollensky, the $20 flight feature wines by notable women winemakers, including a 2012 Bordeaux Lafite Reserve. At i Ricchi, it’s a $12 flight featuring 3 wines, from 3 regions and 3 (Italian) women.
Cheers to Spring!