And if you don’t feel up to hosting, there’s some great viewing parties across town:
- D.C. Film Society is hosting its annual fun-raiser Oscar party at Arlington Cinema ‘n’ Drafthouse ($20).
- On U Street, The DC Center is bringing the Glamour, Glitter and Gold to Town Dance Boutique ($20 general admission, $50 VIP) and Nellie’s Sport Bar is hosting a viewing party too.
- The Art Soiree will take over The Hamilton starting at 6PM with a black-tie optional event, complete with a red carpet, Oscar themed cocktails and live jazz (tickets: $25.) The event is sponsored by EPG PR & l’Alliance Francaise de Washington.
- The Heights has a special Oscar night food and cocktail menu celebrating each of the best motion picture nominees. I don’t think they would go well together but I would totally order a Midnight in Paris Croque Monsieur with an Iron Lady (dry rose, vanilla syrup and a splash of ginger ale.) There will be big screens to watch the award show of course, and special prizes like gift cards for those with the most accurate ballot.
- Of course we all know the most fun part of award shows is critiquing the celebrities as they walk the red carpet… with that in mind, Helix Lounge is also rolling out the red carpet on Sunday with its annual Oscars Happy Hour, starting at 5PM and featuring a line-up of award worthy libations like the Southern Sweet Tea, the tropical Aloha, Oscar! and (I love anything that pays hommage to The Artist) the Strong, Silent Type with Absolut Citron Vodka, black raspberry liqueur, fresh lemon and a champagne float! Burgers will also be half priced ($6.50) all night.