In case you haven’t heard yet, Jon Stewart is in town this week taping The Daily Show‘s Midterm Teapartyganza at the Shakespeare Theatre Company‘s Sidney Harman Hall in Penn Quarter/Chinatown. He’ll remain in DC through the Rally to Restore Sanity (and/or Keep Fear Alive) which will take place on the National Mall Saturday afternoon. I typically don’t find Mondays that exciting, and I don’t think Austan Goolsbee, Chairman of the Council Of Economic Advisors, could ever be described as exciting either… but kicking off the week in the live audience of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart watching him discuss the curent recession was actually really exciting!!
Before the actual taping began, Jon Stewart came out to chat with us. On the topic of the upcoming rallies, he mentioned that Steven Colbert and him “don’t know what we’re doing, but we’re doing it up.” With some 150,000 people marching on the National Mall this weekend, (at least according some highly scientific estimates based on the number of porta potties that have been ordered for the occasion) they better be “doing it up!” Saturday’s Million Moderate March promises to be a lot of fun, but it also promises to be a strain on the National Mall. If you feel bad for the National Mall, here are a few ways you can help:
1) Don’t go to the rallies. Seriously. Stay home 😉
2) Restore sanity AND the National Mall at the same time by donating to the Trust for the National Mall. Jon Stewart wants you to open up your wallet anyways.
3) Don’t like to just donate without getting a little something back? Well, you’re in luck! Join L’Enfant Society today and you’ll be entered in a draw to win two VIP tickets in the roped-off section in front of the stage at the Rally this weekend.
4) You can also buy some DC Rally Gear like “I’m with
stupid reasonable” or an “I have a Scream” t-shirts. All proceeds from sales of Merch to Restore Sanity and Merch to Keep Fear Alive will benefit the Trust for the National Mall.
5) Eat at Cuba Libre Restaurant and Rum Bar on Thursday October 28th: 100% of food sales that night will be donated to the Trust for the National Mall.
But most importantly, when you are on the National Mall, for whatever reason, be respectful. Pick up after yourself and leave America’s front yard pretty for everyone to enjoy… then you can head out to one of these bars for some post rally fun!
Lost In Cheeseland says
You're so lucky you got to see him! I'll be interested in seeing the media coverage of this rally after the fact!
it was awesome. I only see his show during election season apparently. Last time I was in the audience was in 2008 on the last day of the Republican National Convention in MSP. A little sad I had tickets for Monday not Wednesday (Obama is the guest) but just happy I got to go at all… tickets were all given out within like 2 minutes of being released…
dating diva says
I'm so excited for the rally this weekend! Also very jealous that you got to go to a taping!
Great post! I agree that all of these rallys and mall events are terrible for the Mall. Thats why I'm taking your first piece of advice and staying home 🙂
Ah ah Vlasta, I thought you'd be more into the eating at Cuba Libre 😉